Yes, it took me THAT long to buy and try this palette, although I am generally a big fan of Smashbox. Although I have always liked the selection of neutral colors when I looked it up online, the number of negative reviews kind of ruined it for me. Plus, I already have a great selection of eyeshadows (singles and palettes). Another reason why I was hesitant to buy it, was the amount of glitter in the eyeshadows in the top row. Each time I looked at this palette in “person” it was just too glittery for my personal taste because the glitter seemed chunky to me. However, while I was on travel a few weeks ago, I decided to get the small travel-size one and I am glad I did.
Packaging and Shade Description:
This little handy palette turned out to be a very practical, beautiful and sleek travel companion. Although I had packed a small selection of single eyeshadows and long-lasting pencils for eye makeup, I reached for this palette most of the time and truly enjoyed its versatility.
The shades don’t have any fancy names, so it’s purely functional (I don’t have a problem with that, I grew up in Germany). S1, S3, S4, S6 for the shimmers; M1, M3, M4, M6 for the mattes. You get 6g of eyeshadows and 8 shades for $24, which is a good deal.
S1: chocolate brown with golden pearl; M1: matte warm chocolate brown (my favorite pair)
S3: soft gold with gold & silver pearl; M3: soft matte midtown tan (my other favorite combo)
S4: light tan with gold & silver pearl; M4: creamy matte beige (beautiful)
S6: midtone slate with silver pearl; M6: ashy dark brown (the only cool toned pair but still very wearable and nice)*
- Nice pigmentation in both matte and glitter shades.
- Beautiful selection of neutral shades (three warm toned pairs and one cooler toned pair). Still neutral enough to suit every skin tone.
- Soft texture that is really easy to blend. I find these easier to blend than the eyeshadows of Urban Decay or Too Faced, which I also like.
- Glitter may look chunky in the pan but it turned out to be really wearable and beautiful on the lid. Also due to their excellent blendability, you can easily built the color of these eyeshadows or tone them down for a more natural, day-appropriate look.
- I can’t really think of any cons. I was really surprised of the overall quality of the shadows after reading so many negative reviews. Yes, they do have a little bit of fallout, but nothing that can’t be handled with the right technique and brush or finger. I don’t think that they have more fallout than Urban Decay eyeshadows and I am okay with that, because a powder eyeshadow will always have some fallout. No big deal for me.
Rating and Recommendation: A
I really like the color selection of wearable neutrals and that Smashbox paired each glitter eyeshadow with a matte complementary shade for blending in the crease. It’s a very versatile, compact palette that will give you plenty of looks for day-to-night wear, subtle and bold, matte and with some glitter that is buildable and easy to blend.
These neutral shades suit every skin tone (very good pigmentation) and are also a good option for more mature skin, if you like to add a little glitter for evening wear without looking like an aging drag queen. It’s perfect for doing a Bobbi Brown-style smokey eye. I would say, if you already have a lot of neutral eyeshadows, there’s no need to buy the full-size Exposure palette, just get this one. If you are looking for something versatile with sleek packaging to take with you and very good quality – get this one as a nice backup. And if you still want to get this one and/or the full-size palette although you really don’t need either one – just go ahead. I understand. And it’s a good buy.
Let me know how you get on with this palette. Do you enjoy it or are you among the ones that don’t like it?
Thanks for reading and have a wonderful weekend everyone!
* Shade descriptions taken from: http://www.smashbox.com/product/6025/31330/Eyes/TRAVEL-SIZE-FULL-EXPOSURE-PALETTE/New/index.tmpl